A while ago I was browsing through the depths of the internet and stumbled across a certain statement. A statement which was in itself very simple, but for me it held great meaning.
Did you ever felt a moment of clarity? A moment where you suddenly understood something which was…
ParaNorman is so important and deserves far more recognition.
I think a lot of Tumblr could learn a thing or two from this movie.
Um how about no.
Agatha was scapegoated and sentenced to death for witchcraft as a little girl when she did absolutely nothing wrong and she has every right to be angry at what happened to her and to want justice and retribution for it. The people her curse affected may be innocent but that does not negate her feelings of being severely mistreated and that certainly does NOT make her a bully.
And I knew that this is what people were going to take away from this and it almost ruined the entire movie for me to know that it would be used as a “you’re just as bad as they are!!” screed.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HATE YOUR OPPRESSORS AND WANT THEM TO PAY FOR THEIR ACTIONS, GODDAMMIT.
Do you know what a bully is? Someone who uses power to intimidate someone. Agatha has power and is intimidating and harming someone for no reason. Norman is trying to help her, and she’s hurting him. He didn’t oppress her, he wasn’t part of the group (Puritans) that oppressed her, he didn’t benefit at all from her death. He was basically a bystander, and she’s trying to harm him. This is the action of a bully. It doesn’t matter that she was oppressed hundreds of years ago, she’s trying to hurt someone and he’s retaliating.
By harming someone who you perceive to be your oppressor, you’re doing more harm than good. Your ‘oppressor’ has absolutely no reason to help you if you try to hurt them. In fact, you may give them more reason to have people against you. “Look what this group is doing! Are you saying that they deserve rights if they’re willing to hurt and kill people?”. You alienate those who want to help you, and drive away those who are for your cause, and people who are part of your group suffer through no action of their own. In other words, you’re doing a lot more harm to your cause. Furthermore, honestly, your oppressors owe you nothing if you do this. If you try to hurt and kill people, your oppressors are going to hate you more, and aren’t going to give you equality. Or, if they do, it will be out of fear and not out of you deserving it. And fear of a group of people will lead to further problems, or even a worse situation. If your group is using threats, bullying, harm and intimidation tactics to advance an agenda, it doesn’t matter if you’re on the right side, it’s still terrorism. You are doing the same things your oppressors are doing. Your motive may be different, but in the end the result is the same. Furthermore, taking it out on a personal level, instead of trying to change society, perpetuates violence. IF you just go around and try to hurt, bully, or kill someone because they’re part of a group who you perceive to be your oppressors, even if they’re trying to help, it gives the majority a reason to hate you and a reason to deny equality. It doesn’t matter if it’s ‘fair’ that you’re fighting for the same rights.
I know that this post is bound to have a negative reaction, but as the saying goes, “just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.”
1. I know what the dictionary definition of feminism is. I also know that the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck…
The wage gap is not due to sexism friend
Top Five Jobs Women Take:
- Secretaries and administrative assistants
- Registered nurses
- Elementary and middle school teachers
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides
Top Five Jobs Men Take
- Law Enforcement
Lets look at the yearly salaries for women’s top five jobs:
- $50,220 X
- $67,930 X
- E: $51,380 X  M: $51,960 X
- $20,370 X
- N: $24,010 X  P:$26,880 X  HH: $20,170 X
Now lets look at the yearly salaries for men’s top five jobs:
As you can see, men lead in all but one category. Construction. Why do the male jobs pay more? Lets find out shall we?
Occupational hazards of women’s top jobs:
- Secretaries and administrative assistants X
- Muscle strain from lifting phones and typing
- Risk of stapling
- Working in a cold office increases muscle tension and encourages poor working posture as you huddle trying to stay warm.
- Registered nurses X
- Can be exposed to contagious and infectious diseases
- Can come into contact with chemicals
- violence at work
- Elementary and middle school teachers X
- Bacterial and viral infections
- Threatened with injury
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Mental stress
- Cashiers X
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Back pain
- Swollen feet
- Leg pain
- Normal exposure to colds and flu
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Sleep problems (if working the night shift)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides
Occupational hazards of men’s top jobs:
- Construction X
- Falls from working at height,
- Crush injuries in excavation work,
- Slips and trips,
- Being struck by falling objects,
- Moving heavy loads,
- Bad working positions, often in confined spaces,
- Being struck or crushed by a workplace vehicle,
- Receiving injuries from hand tools,
- Inhalation of dust,
- Handling of rough materials,
- Exposure to dangerous substances (chemical and biological),
- Working near, in, or over water,
- Exposure to radiation,
- Loud noise,
- Vibration from tools or vibrating machinery.
- Engineering X
- The Operation of Plant Regulations and Approvals
- The Operation of Conveyors and Bulk Materials Handling Systems
- The Operation of Winding and Lifting Plan
- The Safe Operation of Mobile Plant
- The Failure of Structures
- Inadequate Operator Protection on Mobile Plant
- Contact with Moving or Rotating Plant
- Safe Access to Mechanical Plant and Structures
- Inadequate Energy Dissipation and Isolation
- The use of Fluid Power Systems
- Circumstances Leading to Uncontrolled Fires
- The Ignition of Flammable and Explosive Substances
- Fire and/or Explosion Initiated by Plant in or Near Hazardous Zones or Hazardous Areas
- The Handling, Transportation and use of Dangerous Goods
- Exposure to Hazardous and Toxic Substances
- Exposure to Noise, Vibration and Temperature
- The use of Cutting and Welding Equipment
- Working in Confined Spaces and Restricted Areas
- Police Officer X
- Possibility of attack
- Physically taxing tasks
- Stresses of being exposed to negative events in the lives of others
- Auto accidents while on duty either pursuing a suspect
- Risk of being shot at or stabbed
- Firemen X
- Damage to lungs from smoke
- Physical strain
- Electricians X
- Exposure to lead, solvents, solder, and other toxic materials.
- Risk of electrical burns and fatal electrical shock.
- Increased risks of injury from working in confined spaces.
- Exposure to toxic welding fumes and ultraviolet radiation.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures with attendant risks of frostbite and heat stress.
- Injury from work in awkward positions, repetitive manual tasks, and lifting heavy objects.
- Exposure to toxic molds, fungi, and bacteria.
- Risk of infections and diseases from exposure to bird or rodent droppings.
- Risks of falling from working at heights.
- Risk of eye injury from flying particles.
- Injuries from slips, trips and falls.
- Injuries from working with hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- Stress and risk of increased injury from shift work or extended work days.
- Exposure to asbestos with attendant risks of cancer and lung disease.
As you can see, the jobs men take more often have a high risk of death and serious mental stress. The jobs that women take more often have a low risk of death and have instead minors risks such as body aches and disease. From the top five jobs by gender, you can see women tend to take safer jobs while men tend to take more dangerous jobs. The danger of those jobs must be taken into account and the people working in those dangerous jobs must be compensated.
The wage gap you hear about is an average of the entire nation. It does not represent a man and a woman in the same job field. It represents every single man and every single women in the USA. That is why it is called average. As you can see, women tend to take lower paying jobs while men tend to take higher paying jobs.
i will never not reblog this
Dr. Seuss was a racist. He wouldn’t attach his words to an interracial romance. Here are seven racist cartoons he made about Japanese-Americans during WWII.
He also later apologized and wrote Horton Hears a Who! to illustrate his remorse for his previous way of thinking
All of tumblr needs to learn the above comment.
Keeping you scared is the true misogyny.And also the making of a cult
What has feminism actually done in the past 10 years? This is a legitimate question, and it would be great if someone could answer.
got women to vote you dumb shit
Bow to the Leader
Pyrrha’s line cracked me up
Murderers shouldn’t murder.
Car jackers shouldn’t car jack.
Muggers shouldn’t mug.
Thiefs shouldn’t steal.
Rapists shouldn’t rape.
But they all do.
Please, for the love of god, know how to protect yourself. Be aware of your surroundings and don’t rely on human beings to not be really, really terrible.
In a perfect world we wouldn’t have to worry about these things, but our world is far from perfect.